On 6 August 1940 the merchant ship SS Anglo Saxon took on a
fresh crew and left Newport, Wales, carrying a cargo of coal to
Bahia Blanca, Argentina.
The Anglo Saxon (5,596 tons) was one
of four ships owned by the Nitrate Producers Steamship Company. Her
new crew numbered 41 officers and men, and she was armed with one
deck gun. On 7 August she called at Milford Haven, and on 8 August
joined the outward-bound Liverpool Convoy OB 195.
Several days later
Anglo Saxon left the convoy and proceeded independently to
Bahia Blanca. The voyage was uneventful until on the night of 21
August she encountered the German armed merchant raider Widder
approximately 800 miles west of the Canary Islands.